2 Pregnancies, 20 years of living with Mr. Parfait and quitting smoking definitely had their toll on my waistline and my hips, and not in a positive way!
As probably many of you out there, I have tried dieting, skipping meals, food supplements and lots of other stuff. I even tried what they call Coolsculpting, or cryolipolysis, that’s where they put some sort of machine on the spot where you want to get rid of fat cells and they freeze your fat cells off. I do not know about other people who have tried it, but they only thing I got rid of there, was my money; my fat cells are still there ;(
At this point in my life, I accept my body more easily than I did some years ago, I mean there are other things to worry about, aren’t there? Though if there were a way to lose some weight and stay in good health, then it wouldn’t hurt to try it out, would it?
Today I want to talk to you about the Keto Diet. We hear and read so much about it but what is it exactly? Before deciding to do the Keto Diet, it is important to understand how it works. Also, what can, and can’t you eat? What are the to be expected results?
I have done some research on it and wanted to share with you this Keto Diet Guide for Beginners. Here we go.
Introduction to Keto Diet
What is the meaning of the word “Keto”? Our bodies run on two distinctive fuels. The first one is the sugar that comes from carbohydrates in the meals that we take. For example rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. The other one is fat. Our body goes through this process all the time, every day, although in a very slow pace, as this is where we get our energy from.
Keto diet has a deficient level of carbs, and due to the low level of carbs, the body will use fat for fuel. This fuel can come from foods like meat, avocados, butter, nuts or olive oil for example.
When you are not taking in any food, for example when you are fasting, or sleeping or following the Keto Diet, your body will convert the stored fat cells into energy molecules that are called Ketones.
Ketones will be transformed into glycerol and fatty acids after the body breaks down fat. The glycerol and fatty acids will be used as fuel by the cells in your body.
Your brain has other needs however, it will use the sugar and ketones as fuel, which is the result of the glycerol and fatty acids that have been transformed by the liver
The Keto Diet is an extremely low carbs, high fat diet and there are various versions of it;
- SKD or Standard Keto Diet includes low-carb (5%), high fat (75%), and moderate-protein (20%).
- CKD or Cyclical Keto Diet consists of 5 keto days and two high-carbs.
- TKD or Targeted Keto Diet includes carbs in workouts.
- HKT or High- Protein Keto Diet includes fat (60%), carbs (5%) and protein (35%)
How Does The Keto Diet Work?
It is not easy to burn your unwanted fats, control the sugar level in your bloodstream and reverse many other health problems. The Ketogenic Diet is a trendy diet that has similarities with other low carb diets like Atkins. It does remarkable development in this regard.
The main goal of the Keto Diet is to reach a condition called ketosis. Ketosis is a state where the body burns the stubborn fats, rather than utilizing glucose for energy purposes. This is the working principle of a keto diet to achieve the state of ketosis without wasting time.
You cannot say that the keto diet is the only way of introducing ketosis in your body, as our body naturally burns the fats through ketosis like I mentioned above, but the natural process is time-consuming.
When doing the Keto Diet, you will be able to get this state very quickly, and your body will become the fat-burning machine within no time. You can make a proper diet sheet and time table of eating low carb or high-fat Diet.
What Should You Eat Within The Keto Diet?
Keto-friendly foods that are low in carbs and have a high amount of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, are recommendable in the Keto Diet. Following is the ideal list of foods that you can use;
- Fresh eggs (a source of protein, vitamins B, selenium, choline, iron, zinc, vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids)
- Sea Food includes shellfish or fish (a source of vitamin B, selenium and potassium)
- Low-Carb Vegetables (containing vitamin C and minerals)
- Meat & Poultry (No carbs, high in protein and nutrients)
- Cheese (low in carbs & high in fat, protein or calcium)
- Avocados (a source of fibers, nutrients like potassium)
- Coconut Oil (contains MCTs or medium-chain triglycerides)
- Olive Oil (rich in antioxidants and monounsaturated fats)
- Plain Greek Yogurt and Cottage (low carbs and high protein)
- Nuts and Seeds including almonds, pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts and walnuts, etc. (high in fiber, nutrients, minerals and vitamins)
- Berries like blueberries, raspberries or strawberries, etc. (contain vitamin C, iron and other minerals)
- Shirataki Noodles (only soluble fibers and no starch)
- Unsweetened coffee and tea (best drink for keto diet)
- Dark chocolate (high antioxidants or rich in minerals like zinc, magnesium and iron)
What Should You Not Eat Within The Keto Diet?
Avoid foods that are rich in carbohydrates because they will brutally destroy your ketogenic diet plan within no time. Here is a complete list of all the high carbs fats that we should avoid;
- Baked Goods and Bread (wheat bread, white bread, cookies, rolls and doughnuts)
- Sweetened Beverages (ice-cream, maple syrup, coconut sugar and agave syrup)
- Pasta (noodles and spaghetti)
- Sugary foods and Sweets (juice, soda, soft drinks, and sweetened teas)
- Grain products (rice, wheat, tortillas, breakfast cereals and oat)
- Starchy Vegetables (sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, corns, butternut, pumpkin and squash)
- Fruit (grapes, citrus, pineapples and bananas)
- Legumes and beans (chickpeas, black peas, kidney beans)
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Processed foods
- Diet Foods
- Oil and Unhealthy Fats
Benefits Of Ketogenic Diet
We cannot deny the importance of keto diet because low- carb foods have numerous health benefits. Some of which you will find underneath
1. Weight loss
You can cut your carbs and chose for fats to fuel your body system when you are under the ketosis condition. This is the most impressive way to burn your stubborn fats and avoid obesity. Following the low carbs diet will intensively help you lose weight and feel great.
2. Reduce Appetite
Hunger is the top reason because of which most people give up on dieting. But, following the keto plan, leads to an automatic alleviation of appetite. When you reduce your carbs intake and eat fat or protein, it will end up with fewer calories.
3. Lower Risks of Heart Diseases
Ketogenic diets are very persuasive at reducing blood triglycerides. These are the fat molecules that promote the risks of cardiovascular diseases. It will lower the chances of heart diseases by lowering cholesterol levels.
4. Lower Blood Sugar Level
One of the most crucial advantages of this Keto Diet is, it can dramatically reduce the blood sugar and enhance the resistance against insulin. It can also help in dietary therapy for cancer, epilepsy, and neurodegenerative disorders.
5. Improve Sleep Hours
When you are on the Ketogenic Diet, it will improve your sleep rhythm. It will promote sleep hours and avoid insomnia. And who would not be happy with some extra hours of quality sleep?
6. Effective for Brain Health
This Diet has an excellent effect on brain functioning and effectively reduces the problems that link with the brain. Congenital hyperinsulinism is a condition that can lead to brain disorders or damage brain cells.
Using keto foods, you can avoid this condition, and not only this, and one can relieve from migraine headaches, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, and also other diseases.
7. Diminish Anxiety and Depression
Ketogenic Diet reduces anxiety because of the low sugar levels and taking healthy fats. This is essential for brain health which then reduces your anxiety or depression when you are on the keto diet.
8. Improve Skin Health
The Keto Diet helps decrease inflammation of your skin. Avoiding inflammatory foods like sugar or refined grains may help you in many ways. The foods involved in the keto diet list have anti-aging properties and make your skin shines. Following the keto diet will maximize the health and appearance of your skin.
Risks And Side Effects
Like with many other diets, there are also some side effects linked with the Ketogenic Diet.
Some keto diet’s followers complain about fatigue, sickness and lack of energy, but if you drink plenty of water, you can easily go through these problems.
The process of ketosis is regulated by your liver and you can trust on your liver to produce just the necessary number of ketones that your body needs for fueling.
For people with diabetes, it is important to have their blood sugar level under control in order to avoid having too many ketones in their blood (what they call ketoacidosis), but keeping that in mind, they can also benefit from the Keto Diet.
Tips And Precautions For Beginners
There are some precautions to be taken into account to avoid eventual side effects associated with the Ketogenic Diet, such as
- Drinking plenty of water, at least 2 liters a day.
- Also, green tea, adaptogenic herbs and organic coffee are good for you
- check out your relations regarding fats and avoid restaurant high salty meals.
- Avoid digestive problems by eating an adequate amount of fibers.
- Don’t overeat fat, stay reasonable.
- Keto diet is not safe for underage and pregnant women.
- Avoid alcohol – this is probably going to be a difficult one ????
- Don’t smoke
- Get enough sleep because poor periods of rest can cause hormonal distress (sleep in the cold dark or cool room and use earplugs or eye shades).
Exercise And Ketogenic Lifestyles
Exercise is essential when following the Keto Diet, this in order to improve weight loss, maintain muscle mass, and keep high energy levels. When you are on the Keto Diet, you can significantly burn the undesired fat. It plays an important role in maintaining the quality of the low carb way of living. You will be able to get a steady state of ketosis.
The following are the benefits of exercise in a keto diet;
- It is good for your heart condition.
- It can help to construct a lean or smart body structure.
- It may be beneficial to strengthen your body muscles and bones.
- It may have an impressive positive impact on your mental health as well.
Ketogenic Diet is the low carbs and high-fat foods diet. Don’t eat foods that are high in carbs, such as bread or pasta. There are several health benefits of applying keto diet plans, such as suppressing hunger pangs or late-night cravings, lower heart or brain disorders, and, of course, getting rid of obesity.
The Keto Diet can immensely help if you want to lose weight keeping in mind the tips and precautions I mentioned in this article. I am not a nutritionist, nor a doctor, so I do recommend you keep on reading and informing yourself if you want to learn more about the Keto Diet.
So tell me about you! Did you try the keto diet already? What did you think of it? Or are you thinking of trying it? What will influence your decision whether to start (or not)? I would love it if you could share your experience with us. Just leave a comment below and I would be happy to get back to you.