Every winter there comes a time when i have a serious lack of energy, where I wish I could stay in bed all day, just doing nothing (or watch Netflix). Little sunlight and cold temperatures are not a big help to get myself moving in the morning. As it is unfortunately not possible to hibernate until spring, I have a couple of tricks to boost my energy level and also to relax.
Being at your best and feeling at your best is actually easier than you think! It only takes a little organization and some time in your daily or weekly routine to give yourself a beauty-boost! These 7 natural beauty secrets make you look fresh, healthy and irresistible, or they help you relax and unwind, and anyone can afford them!
So offer yourself some me-time and enjoy !
1. Beauty sleep
We all know how important a good night sleep is, what it does to your health and to your skin. The best combination is of a good night sleep can be summed up like follows:
- No light sources: when we see light, we think we should wake up. In the dark, our body relaxes and can easily fall asleep thanks to melatonin. As darkness causes for melatonin to release naturally, make sure you have sun blocking curtains or wear a mask. It also helps to invest in an alarm clock that imitates sunrise and sunset, in order to slowly wake up or drift of.
- The right temperature: maximum 18 degrees Celsius or 65 degrees Fahrenheit
- No screens: TV, telephone, tablet. The LED light is keeping the melanin from releasing, which causes sleeplessness.
- Comfortable mattress, blanket and pillow. This goes without saying. Our bedroom is a place of relaxation and rest. Make sure your mattress is comfortable for you, there are many mattresses, so it should fit your body. You have to possibility with different suppliers to test a mattress for a couple of weeks before purchasing it.
2. Smooth skin, dry brushin’
We all brush our hair and our teeth, but few of us brush our skin. There are several reasons why we should do it, for example:
- it gives you a smoother skin
- it stimulates the lymphatic drainage
- it removes dead skin cells and exfoliates your skin
- it cleans your skin thoroughly
- it helps against cellulite
and….it is the least expensive wellness treatment around!
How to do dry brush your skin
As it gives you an energy boost, you would want to do this preferably in the morning. Begin with a soft brush if you have never done this before, and use a firmer brush once you get used to it.
Start at your feet and make circular movements up, always working towards your heart as this is best for the lymph flow. Repeat the movement several times on both legs and then continue with your arms, your belly and chest. Finish in your face with a soft brush.
Do not press too hard, your skin is not supposed to be all red, but press slightly so that your skin is slightly pink after dry brushing it.
Dry brushing is the best of all baths as it leaves your skin much cleaner and smoother as anything soap would do.
3. Cold shower gives you power!
When it’s cold outside, we might be reluctant of this idea, but it has a number of health benefits of ending your shower with a cold jet.
- It will wake you up instantly and increase your energy, you will feel invigorated
- It improves your blood circulation
- It is good for your hair, your skin and it will close your pores
- It reduces stress. When your body will experience small levels of stress every time you take a cold shower. By doing this every day, your body will get used to and will be able to handle this level of stress, which also impacts your nervous system. This will help you stay calm in times of stress as well.
If you have never done this before, then changing your habits all of a sudden can be a huge thermal shock. Let’s avoid passing out or hyperventilating because it was too much too soon. Take it easy in the beginning and start with a zone of your body, like your arms, your knees or your face. Even by rinsing only your face or your arms, it will have an effect on the rest of your body.
4. Steam-bath wonders
Besides from having a relaxing effect on your muscles and reducing stress, warm steam has a lot of other beauty benefits. It will
- Open up your pores and cleans your skin.
- Clear your skin impurities and toxins.
- Improve your circulation which will give your skin this healthy glow that you get after a steam room session.
- Make you will feel very calm and rejuvenated after taking a steam room.
If you do not have the opportunity to go to a steam room, you can also make your own steam session at home for your face and neck area. In a large bowl of hot water you can put some essence oil depending on the needs of your skin: lemon or orange to make your skin shine, green tea to purify your skin, chamomile or lavender to hydrate your skin. Let the oil infuse for a couple of minutes, take off your make up and put your face approximately 15 cm above the bowl with your head covered with a towel. Close your eyes and enjoy the warm steam upon your skin for about ten minutes. Finish of by placing a cold hand towel on your face to close the pores.
5. DIY oil massages
When it is getting cold outside, there is nothing better than having a massage with essential oils, warmed up in the microwave or by an oil-heater. You can choose a vegetable oil, like almond or sesame, or a mix of different oil cocktails with argan, olive or sesame. Start with your ankles and move up to your thighs, use your whole hand and press your skin with your fingertips, this is good for your circulation. Do not forget the very dry zones, like your heels, knees or elbows.
6. Bye bye bags and dark circles
We all have this from time to time, when looking in the mirror, all we see are the bags under our eyes. This makes us look tired or even sick, even though we aren’t. There is a very easy remedy to get rid of these dark circles that everyone can afford.
Put two spoons in the refrigerator for ten minutes and cut 2 slices of cucumber during this time. Put the cucumber on your eyes, this hydrates your skin around your eyes and makes it more firm. After ten minutes, take the cold spoons out of the fridge and put them on the dark circles under your eyes for about ten seconds. Pause for ten seconds and repeat. Do this five times, and your dark circles should be gone.
7. Ginger all the way!
Anti-fatigue, anti-stress, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, you name, ginger has it. It comes as powder, syrup, candied or pure as a root. It can be considered a super food, as ginger is great for us from head to toe in various aspects, for example:
- It stimulates our blood circulation
- It slows down the aging process
- It helps drain the toxins in your body and clean your liver
- It helps against migraine, infections or muscle-aches after sports
- It helps against digestion problems
- Ginger is good for your skin and stimulates hair growth
Ginger is also known to help in the weight loss process, as it helps burn the calories. Sometimes it is used as a medicine. It contains Gingerol, which is a bio-active substance that reduces sickness and works as a painkiller.
What is your experience with natural beauty secrets, do you have any tips and tricks? Have you tried some of these yourself as well? I would love to hear all about it!