Ecological, economical, capable of cleaning, disinfecting, exfoliating and much more. This wonder powder is called baking soda.
It can be used in your daily beauty ritual, as a remedy against sicknesses or as a household cleaning product.
You probably have baking soda at home. But do you use it for cooking only? If you do, then you should know that you can use this product for many other purposes as well. For example, it can ease the symptoms of stomach burns or for your personal hygiene.
It is one of those products that everyone should have in their home. It is an easy to get product, not expensive and it will ease your life in many situations. You could even use it to replace your cleaning products, which are often not ecological and harmful for the environment.
In this article, I will give you 10 absolutely magical baking soda beauty tips. Let’s go!
1. Natural deodorant
It is a natural and very efficient deodorant which eliminates the bacteria that cause bad transpiration smells. You can easily apply it after your shower, when your skin is still slightly humid.
How to apply it: mix a teaspoon of baking soda with water until you get a paste. You can use it in the areas where you have odor problems (arm pit or feet)
It is also possible to put some baking soda directly on your deodorant roll-on.
2. Dark circles
Baking soda can help against dark circles. One of the most remarkable advantages of baking Soda is that is contains anti-inflammatory ingredients and it helps to improve the blood circulation around the eyes.
It will also sooth the Skin and helps fade away any acne scars
The easiest way is to make a paste out of 2 teaspoons of baking soda and some water. The paste should be quite thick. Put it underneath your eyes, if you do it with the back of a spoon, it will be easier.
Let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse it with water without rubbing your skin.
Another possibility is to use baking Soda with chamomile tea.
- Prepare a paste with baking soda and chamomile tea. The water is supposed to be warm.
- Take a cotton pad, dip it in the substance and place it on your eyes.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes
- rinse and hydrate with your usual day or night cream
You will see the difference immediately!
3. Stomach burns
It neutralizes hydrochloric acid in your stomach and transforms it in sodium chloride.
Put one coffee spoon (5 grams) of baking Soda in a glass of water and drink it slowly. You will feel relieved afterwards. Do not take more than 2 glasses per day or more than one coffee spoon at a time. Be careful when you just had an operation of your stomach area or when you are following a special low-sodium diet. If you are unsure if you can take this, you better consult your doctor first.
4. Rash and itching
Do you suffer from dry skin? Itching and a rash can be caused by too hard water. A natural solution against this is to put half a cup of baking soda in your bath. You will come out of it with a sifter, firmer skin. But you will also feel more relaxed, as baking soda is known for its relaxing virtues.
Facial scrubs needs to be soft and not agressive to your skin, which is very sensitive in this area. Nevertheless, in order to purify a mixed to oily skin, sometimes it is necessary to do a bit more abrasive scrub. In this case, a homemade baking Soda scrub can be very efficient. It is not recommended doing this scrub on a very sensible Skin or when you have tendencies to allergies.
It is the easiest scrub to prepare, as you only Need two ingredients: baking Soda and water.
How to prepare it:
- Put 2 table spoons of baking Soda in a bowl
- Add one coffee spoon of water
- Mix it until you get a paste (add some Soda or some water to obtain the wanted result)
How to use it:
- Wash your face and leave your skin slightly humid
- With your fingers, put some paste on the zones where you want to scrub
- Make soft circles with your fingertips
- Let it rest for About ten minutes
- Wash it off with Luke warm water
- Dry your face with a Fresh towel
- Hydrate your skin with your usual daily hydrating cream
6. Natural shampoo
Did you know that often times, the shampoos we buy are very harmful to the environment? Just take a look at the back of the bottle and see the different components. If these components are not good for the environment, then why should they be good for your hair?
Since a couple of years, the „no-poo“ trend exists already. You too can follow this trend and make your own Shampoo, it is so easy!
How to prepare it:
- Put 2 or 3 table spoons of baking Soda in an empty bottle
- Add 3 volumes of water to it
- Add 10 drops of Nuxe dry oil or lavender oil
- Shake the bottle to mix everything up.
How to use it:
- Use the mixture as you would use your normal shampoo under the shower
- Let it rest for 2 or 3 minutes
It will not mousse like a normal shampoo would do, so do not be surprised. It will clean your hair and your scalp thoroughly. It helps against dandruff and avoids your hair getting greasy rapidly.
You may find that after washing your hair, it is static and frizzy. Therefore, you can prepare your own hair conditioner.
Put 1 volume of cider vinegar with 4 volumes of water in a bottle (you can use an empty shampoo bottle)
Put it on your hair and let it rest for a couple of minutes and then rinse.
It will make your hair shine and give it flexibility.
7. White teeth
Even when brushing twice daily, it is not always easy to get white teeth and to keep them white. Baking soda is used in many toothpastes. It polishes your teeth and eliminates stains that can come from coffee, tea or cigarettes.
Many people ask their dentist to whiten their teeth, but it is possible to do it yourself!
How to prepare and use it:
- The easiest way is to first brush your teeth normally. Then you make a paste out of baking soda and some water and brush your teeth with it.
- You could also just put some baking soda on your wet toothbrush.
8. Bad breath
Baking soda also helps neutralize the acids that are produced by the degradation of foods and that cause a bad breath and that can even harm your tooth enamel on the long term. It can act on very acidic substances like onion or garlic.
How to prepare and use it:
- Prepare half a spoon of baking soda in half a glass of water and do a mouthwash for several minutes. You will have an instantly Fresh breath and you preserve your tooth enamel.
It is recommended to see a dentist also, as in many cases, bad breath is due to caries or a periodontal disease.
9. Stretch marks
Stretch marks can appear after a sudden change of your body, like for example during a pregnancy, or when you gain or lose a certain amount of weight. Although they are not harmful for your health, these fine lines are not very aesthetical.
There are different methods of using baking soda against stretch marks, whilst taking care of your skin at the same time.
Method N. 1: Baking Soda and shower gel
- Put 1 teaspoon of baking soda with your normal shower gel on a washcloth and mix it up
- During your shower, stop the water from running for a moment and make gentile, circular movements on the areas where you have stretch marks
- The hard particles of the baking soda will exfoliate and clean your Skin. The shower gel will Hydrate and nourish your Skin at the same time.
- rinse in the shower
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a week and you will see your stretch marks fade.
Method N. 2: Baking soda and lemon Juice
This method helps exfoliate your skin and eliminating dead cells in order to avoid getting new stretch marks. This is how it goes:
- Add half a teaspoon of fresh Lemon Juice to 2 teaspoons of baking Soda and make a paste by mixing it
- Put the paste on the stretch mark areas and let it rest for a couple of minutes. It will dry up, but this is OK
- Take of the dried paste with a humid towel
Method N. 3: Baking soda with olive oil
This will also exfoliate your skin and give you a smooth and soft skin afterwards thanks to the olive oil.
- Put a teaspoon of olive oil, together with 2 teaspoons of baking Soda in a bowl and mix it.
- Apply this on the stretch marks by making circular movements with a washcloth.
- rinse with water and repeat regularly until your stretch marks fade away.
10. Beautiful nails
Baking soda can be used to exfoliate your cuticles and to whiten your nails. Take a nail bath first and then scrub your nails with the paste that you have prepared with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and some water.
Leave the substance on your nails for a few minutes and rinse it with water.
So, there you have it, 10 great beauty hacks with baking soda. Do you know any other beauty tips with baking Soda? I am curious to learn all about them, so please leave a comment and share your experience!